We have renowned expertise in all aspects of real estate litigation. Our barristers cover commercial, residential and agricultural property and planning matters.
Our clients range from individual landlords and tenants, to local authorities, large corporations and national property developers. We also provide drafting and advisory services.
Our expertise extends to:
- Boundaries – construction of transfers, adverse possession and estoppel
- Business Rates and Council Tax
- Commons and village greens
- Construction and building disputes
- Conveyancing – registration, construction of contracts, rectification, termination, options, pre-emption rights and overage
- Co-ownership – express, constructive and resulting trusts, equitable accounting, proprietary estoppel and TLATA 1996
- Covenants against assignment
- Easements and highways – rights of way, light and support
- Claims under The Inheritance Act 1975
- Landlord and tenant
- Leasehold enfranchisement
- Lease termination and possession – surrender, forfeiture, relief and waiver, disclaimer, break clauses
- Mortgages and charges – legal and equitable, priorities, undue influence, mortgages’ duties, receivers
- Professional negligence – (including conveyancers and surveyors)
- Profits – water and sporting rights
- Real property
- Rectification and construction of contracts
- Rent reviews
- Restrictive covenants – enforceability, and removal or modification in the Lands Tribunal
- Security of tenure – business lease renewal, residential security of tenure, agricultural successions, licences and service occupiers
- Trespass and nuisance
- Trusts, settlements, wills and probate
We appear at all levels of the Courts and Tribunals system up to the Supreme Court. Individual members have specialist experience of the Land Registration Tribunal, the Lands Chamber, the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal and the Agricultural Lands Tribunal.
Members have specialist experience of all areas of alternative dispute resolution including mediation, property arbitration and expert determination.
We hold a number of property and planning seminars and training events throughout the year in Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester.
What the Directories Say
“Prominent set with broad expertise covering commercial, residential and agricultural property.”
Band 2 Leading Set – Real Estate Litigation (Northern Circuit), Chambers and Partners 2018
“Members of Exchange Chambers handle a range of matters, including property-related professional negligence and landlord and tenant disputes.”
Tier 1 Leading Set – Property (North and North Eastern Circuit), Legal 500 2017