Property and Planning
Richard is an experienced Junior in the Insolvency department, with significant experience in the area, acting in an advisory capacity, in drafting and in advocacy of all kinds.
Richard is listed as a Leading Individual in Chambers & Partners in Commercial Dispute Resolution and has been variously described as:
- a “talented junior with a burgeoning reputation, who handles a wide variety of commercial disputes including company, contractual and insolvency-related matters”, having “exactly the right attitude” and being an “extremely able and user-friendly junior – he is very much a safe pair of hands on all things chancery, commercial and insolvency related.” (2019)
- “a future star who is particularly good at cross-examination” (2018)
Richard is Junior Counsel to the Crown (Regional A Panel)
Richard is also a member of the Commercial, Commercial Fraud and Insolvency teams and thus able to deal with matters also covering a combination of property law and those areas.
More particularly, Richard’s property practice covers advisory work and advocacy in various fields, including:
- Landlord and tenant disputes, including possession claims
- Real property disputes
- Property matters arising from insolvency or receivership scenarios
- Disputes as to beneficial interests in property
- Mortgage claims
Property & Planning Cases
Recent and relevant cases include:
PS v B & Others (December 2018/Jan 2019) – acting for receivers of numerous properties comprising hotels in London in an action to seek a validation order for the intended sale of those hotels for a sum in excess of £15,000,000 in the face of opposition from the debtor. The case involved consideration of the jurisdiction of the Court to validate a sale of property by Court appointed and out of Court appointed receivers.
I v N – two linked multi-day actions regarding failure to complete on property purchases, contractual formation and measure of damages, involving expert evidence.
Montpellier Estates Limited v Leeds City Council  EWHC 166 QB – assisting generally in the preparation of and dealing with various interlocutory hearings in the successful defence of a multi-million pound deceit claim made against the Council relating to the Leeds Arena
H v G – acting successfully, over a seven year period, for the Claimant in a multi-day harassment action, also including defamation and nuisance actions, and related enforcement proceedings thereafter