At Exchange Chambers, we consider mediation to be an integral part of the dispute resolution landscape. We seek to work closely with the parties to provide an effective alternative dispute resolution service tailored to their needs.
The team is led by our very experienced mediators, Paul Johnson, one of the leading mediators in the UK, and Paul Kirtley.
We mediate in a diverse range of disputes across all major practice areas including:
- Commercial Contracts
- Clinical Negligence
- Group Actions
- Inheritance/ Probate
- Intellectual Property
- International/Overseas parties
- Personal Injury
- Professional negligence
- Project mediation
Administration & Venue
If you wish to enquire about appointing one of our mediators please contact the clerks. We can arrange for the distribution of the mediation agreement, and hosting of the mediation at our excellent offices in Liverpool, Leeds or Manchester.
Independence and Confidentiality
The principles of independence and confidentiality are of the utmost importance.
In any dispute, it is not unusual for one of our mediators to be appointed where another member of chambers has been instructed to appear as advocate for a party to the said mediation.
To avoid any perception of a conflict of interest in such circumstances (for which there is none in any event) or the risk of confidential information being misplaced we have “Chinese Walls” in place to ensure the following:
- Separate clerks for the mediator and the advocate
- Solicitors are informed of the situation so that they only speak to the relevant clerk
- The mediator and advocate are informed of the other’s involvement and the allocation of the relevant clerk
- All information and documents are only dealt with by the relevant clerk
- If any changes are needed to the aforesaid procedure they will be implemented