In recent years, the team have been instructed in some of the leading group actions issued in the English courts.
Exchange has a significant number of barristers with extensive experience of group actions. Our barristers cover a wide range of different types of claim, including:
- Product liability claims
- Group actions arising out of large accidents and disasters
- Group actions brought by foreign nationals against UK registered companies
- Collective competition claims
- Group actions brought by consumers and under the Consumer Credit Act
- Environmental and pollution claims
- Data protection actions
- Group actions in respect of industrial disease litigation
The team are experienced in advising on whether and how to obtain a group litigation order, as well as the subsequent management of litigation. The team is also alive to the unique funding issues that arise in group litigation actions and are able to provide expert advice to ensure that any litigation can be properly funded.
Recent experience includes:
- Specialist team instructed by SPG Law on the Fundão dam class action. The class action has been filed in the High Court in Liverpool on behalf of around 200,000 individuals, 25 municipal governments, 700 businesses, a Catholic archdiocese and members of the Krenak indigenous community.
- Specialist team instructed by SPG Law on the Volkswagen emissions scandal. By number of claimants, this group action is the largest of its type ever pursued in the English courts with 120,000 claimants.
- Silk and junior instructed to advise on a group action against Ticketmaster after a significant data breach.
- Silk and junior instructed to advise on a group action to help victims of the Equifax data hack. The group action is being initiated after Equifax was fined a six figure sum by the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
- Advising on a group action to help victims of Dixons Carphone data loss claim compensation.
Contact Jonathan I’Anson (Chambers Director) who can help to identify the right counsel.