Health and Safety
Ian is a specialist regulatory and corporate defence barrister with significant experience in all aspects of corporate crime and regulatory law with a specific emphasis on health and safety litigation.
He has been appointed to the Specialist List of Regulatory Counsel to prosecute cases of a complex nature in this field but is also instructed by individuals and companies to advise and represent in a diverse range of complex regulatory matters. The following areas are of particular interest to Ian:
- Work related serious injuries and fatalities
- Gross Negligence & Corporate Manslaughter
- Corporate Misfeasance & Directors Liability
Ian is recognised as a leader in the regulatory field and is listed in the Legal 500 as a Leading Junior in the area of regulatory law.
Health and Safety Cases
Illustrative cases include:
- Representing Company prosecuted with HSE for fire safety offences and offences pursuant to the working at height regulations.
- Representing construction company in relation to breaches of fire safety legislation and working at height regulations on a construction project in Manchester city centre. Small financial penalties imposed.
- Prosecuting company accused of failing to protect employees who were seriously injured whilst working at height on a public building. Case ongoing.
- Instructed to prosecute and advise by a local authority on serious accident in the workplace which led to individual facing life changing injuries (amputation of fingers). Advised on offences, evidence and sentencing powers of court. Large fines imposed against company and director.
- Instructed to represent national construction company in relation to issues surrounding the management of an ongoing construction site and health and safety issues raised by the local council. Proceedings brought, small fine imposed.
- Instructed to represent well established restaurant in relation to health and safety matters concerning the management of their kitchens and gas safety issues. Case ongoing.
- Instructed to advise company and director in health and safety investigation concerning major incident on a construction site resulting in worker being paralysed due to alleged failures in lifting equipment. Case ongoing.