Health and Safety
Ian is a regulatory barrister with significant experience in health and safety litigation. He conducts both prosecution and defence work, instructed by local authorities, individuals and companies in a range of health and safety matters involving:
- Work-related serious injuries and fatalities
- Breach of health and safety regulations
- Corporate manslaughter and gross negligence manslaughter
- Criminal liability of company, director and individuals
Health and Safety Cases
Illustrative cases include:
- Instructed to prosecute and advise by a local authority on serious accident in the workplace which led to individual facing life changing injuries (amputation of fingers). Advised on offences, evidence and sentencing powers of court. Large fines imposed against company and director.
- Instructed to represent national construction company in relation to issues surrounding the management of an ongoing construction site and health and safety issues raised by the local council. Proceedings brought, small fine imposed.
- Instructed to represent well established restaurant in relation to health and safety matters concerning the management of their kitchens and gas safety issues. Case ongoing.
- Instructed to advise company and director in health and safety investigation concerning major incident on a construction site resulting in worker being paralysed due to alleged failures in lifting equipment. Case ongoing.