Alfie is an experienced commercial Junior who has built an enviable practice. He is a sought after advocate for litigation, arbitration, and other forms of dispute resolution such as Expert Determinations. Alfie is comfortable acting as sole Counsel in very substantial High Court claims and arbitration proceedings, but is also experienced at operating in conjunction with Leading Counsel. He is a team player who works very effectively with both the Solicitor Team and the Client Team. Alfie is used to picking up difficult instructions at short notice and has acquired a deep experience of urgent injunctive applications.
Alfie is regularly instructed in extremely substantial cases. In 2018 he was instructed in a large scale piece of international litigation in the Technology and Construction Court. In 2019-2020 he was retained as Junior in an unfair prejudice petition, raising numerous allegations and issues, listed for a four week trial, and which settled during the course of the trial. In 2020-2022 he is instructed as Junior in an international arbitration concerning a hotel development in Africa. In 2022 he is again instructed with Leading Counsel in a very substantial unfair prejudice petition, as well as being instructed as sole trial Counsel in a number of substantial High Court trials.
Alfie’s commercial practice includes:
- Restrictive covenants, confidentiality, fiduciary duties, database rights
- Shareholder disputes
- Partnership disputes
- Directors’ duties
- Employment-related claims
- Commercial contract disputes
- Commercial torts
- Franchise disputes
- Breach of Warranty claims
- Commercial Agents claims
- Company Law
- Corporate and personal insolvency litigation
- Professional negligence, particularly involving solicitors, counsel, accountants, architects, engineers, surveyors, and financial advisors
- Consumer law
- Applications for interim injunctive relief
Alfie has gained a reputation for his sharp intellect and commercially focussed, client friendly approach. He is a bilingual English-Spanish speaker able to use his language skills in his cases where appropriate.
Recent cases include:
- Acting for the company defending a claim brought by a former director for c.£850,000 of unpaid bonus, that also raised issues concerning good leaver/bad leaver status and an associated dispute over shares.
- Acting for 5 former employees in the financial services industry who set up in competition and faced allegations of breach of restrictive covenants and unlawful means conspiracy. Against Leading Counsel.
- Acting for the applicant in combined proprietary and Mareva injunction concerning monies paid to a property broker and fraudulently retained.
- Acting for a football club to obtain an injunction to restrain presentation of a winding up petition brought by investor/shareholders.
- Acting for party claiming a declaration as to beneficial ownership of shares and an injunction excluding respondent from involvement in affairs of the company.
- Acting (as led junior) for the claimants in international arbitration concerning a development project in East Africa.
- Acting (as lead Counsel) for the defendants to claim for breach of restrictive covenants, fiduciary duty, breach of confidentiality, and conspiracy arising out of alleged unlawful use of former employer’s confidential information.
- IDMH Ltd v Barnes  acted on behalf of the applicant seeking urgent injunctive relief requiring that the respondent assign to the applicant control over an internet domain name.
- MV Promotions v The Telegraph Media Group Ltd (1) and HMRC (2)  EWHC 1357 (Ch). Represented a former international cricketer, and now cricket commentator, in a claim for rectification involving difficult legal issues concerning the court’s equitable discretion in a claim for rectification.