Alfie is an experienced commercial Junior who has built an enviable practice. He is a sought after advocate for both litigation and arbitration work. Alfie is comfortable acting as sole Counsel in substantial multi-million pound claims, but is also experienced at operating in conjunction with Leading Counsel and/or co-Counsel. He is a team player who works effectively with both the Solicitor Team and Client Team. He is able to turn around difficult instructions at short notice.
Alfie is regularly instructed in extremely substantial cases. In 2018 he was instructed in a large-scale piece of international litigation in the Technology and Construction Court. In 2019-2020 he was retained as Junior in an unfair prejudice petition raising numerous allegations and issues, listed for a four-week trial, and which settled during the course of the trial. In 2020-2021 he is instructed as Junior in an international arbitration concerning a hotel development in Africa, as well as being instructed as sole trial Counsel in a number of substantial High Court trials.
Alfie’s commercial practice includes:
- Restrictive covenants, confidentiality, fiduciary duties, database rights
- Shareholder disputes
- Partnership disputes
- Directors’ duties
- Employment-related claims
- Commercial contract disputes
- Commercial torts
- Franchise disputes
- Breach of Warranty claims
- Commercial Agents claims
- Company Law
- Corporate and personal insolvency litigation
- Professional negligence, particularly involving solicitors, counsel, accountants, architects, engineers, surveyors, and financial advisors
- Consumer law
- Applications for interim injunctive relief
Alfie has gained a reputation for his sharp intellect and commercially-focussed, client friendly approach. He is a bi-lingual English-Spanish speaker able to use his language skills in his cases where appropriate.
His expertise in Commercial Fraud, Employment, Insolvency, Data Breach and Privacy, and Judicial Review gives him a broad perspective on Commercial disputes and enables him to approach them from various angles.
Recent cases include:
- MV Promotions v The Telegraph Media Group Ltd (1) and HMRC (2)  EWHC 1357 (Ch). Represented a former international cricketer, and now cricket commentator, in a claim for rectification involving difficult legal issues concerning the court’s equitable discretion in a claim for rectification.
- Re H v H . Represented, with Leading Counsel, the respondents in the trial of an unfair prejudice petition listed for 20 days. Was deeply involved in the case, which settled during the course of the trial.
- AM Carpets Ltd – acted for the respondent in a two-day application for relief from forfeiture. Successfully defeated claim that commercial lease was a sham and obtained dismissal of application for relief from forfeiture.
- Acted for member of a partnership concerned in the import of cars to the UK in a two-day trial of issues concerning the dissolution of the partnership
- Advocacy at an arbitration under LCIA rules, in a dispute concerning members of an LLP providing financial services
- Advising and drafting particulars of claim in a case alleging Negligent Misstatement against a Financial Advisor
- Advising and drafting particulars of claim in a case concerning breaches of restrictive covenants, breaches of confidentiality, and directors’ duties in the insurance industry
- Advising and drafting particulars of claim in a case concerning breaches of restrictive covenants and breaches of confidentiality in the recruitment industry
- Advising and drafting unfair prejudice petition concerning a quasi-partnership in the hospitality industry
- Drafting a defence to a breach of warranty claim in a business sale agreement
- Advising in a claim for breach of warranty in a share sale agreement
- Advising in a claim for wrongful repudiation of a Franchise Agreement in the leisure industry