James regularly acts for claimants and respondents in Employment cases and has experience in a range of matters involving unfair dismissal including constructive dismissal, wrongful dismissal, discrimination and equality law claims, redundancy related claims, holiday pay, restrictive covenants, unlawful deduction of wages, worker status.
- Successfully represented the Respondent at a four-day disability discrimination and unfair dismissal trial. Whilst the dismissal was procedurally unfair the compensation was reduced by 100% on the basis of Polkey and to reflect the contribution of the Claimant to the dismissal. Moreover, the s.15 EqA 2010 claim was dismissed.
- Remedy hearing for damages in a claim for unfair dismissal, wrongful dismissal and non-payment of holiday pay.
- 3-day multi-handed ET claim involving a complex construction of contractual clauses re enhanced redundancy payments and claims for statutory redundancy pay.
- Acting as a junior junior for the respondent producing witness statements in a complex disability discrimination claim against the HMRC in a claim pleaded beyond £2 million.
- Acting for the respondent in a constructive dismissal claim arising out of company policies implemented during Covid 19 Lockdown.
- Unfair dismissal claim on grounds of redundancy primarily involving an unfair selection of employees.
- Advising a firm of solicitors involving the proposed dismissal of a company director.