Wills, Trusts, Tax and Probate
Scott is a chancery and commercial barrister with an established practice covering all aspects of wills, trusts, tax and probate, complemented by his particular expertise in all aspects of tax law and practice.
He is often instructed on complicated issues of fact and law. His wider experience as a commercial litigator and in advising on tax matters adds to the scope of the advice he offers.
He is recognised as being “…very approachable and easy to work with. His advice on complicated subjects is clear and easily understood.” (Legal 500 (2023) – Chancery, Probate & Tax). He is noted for his “clear advice” which is “easy to action, pragmatic and straight -forward” (Legal 500 (2021) Chancery, Probate & Tax). Chambers & Partners describe him as being “really knowledgeable” and that he “deploys that knowledge well” (2022); that he “gives practical advice” and “is trusted as a safe pair of hands” (Chambers & Partners (2021); that “his technical knowledge and thoroughness of preparation and attention to detail was first rate” and he is “trusted with some serious work” (Chambers & Partners (2019).
Particular strengths include:
- Drafting and advising on matters relating to trust instruments, variations, change of trustees, appointments, assignments, termination of trust, discharge and distribution, wills
- Construction of trust instruments and of wills
- Issues arising in succession planning for private and family-owned businesses
- Agricultural holdings, farming businesses and partnerships, including tax planning issues
- Advising on issues relating to the taxation of trusts (including non-resident settlements), partnerships, family-owned businesses, inheritance tax, agricultural property relief, business property relief, SDLT and VAT. Experienced in advising on green taxes, including landfill tax and other levies. For further information see his Tax profile.
In litigation, “Scott has a very cool, calm head; he is unflappable” and “gets his teeth into the work and gets to grips with the facts. He presents clearly to the court.” (Chambers & Partners (2023).
- Trusts and trustee disputes, including all types of pensions arrangements and employee benefit trusts (see Employment, Pensions and Tax profiles)
- Variation of trusts, applications relating to the administration of trusts and estates, rectification claims, Beddoe applications, equitable remedies
- Breach of fiduciary duties and fraud, sham transactions and asset tracing, POCA
- Disputed wills, contentious probate, rectification claims and administration actions
- TOLATA proceedings
- Inheritance Act claims
- Valuation disputes of shares and of property