Joel has a busy commercial practice, and typically represents both Claimant and Defendant parties in contract disputes, trusts and equitable relief, corporate and personal insolvency, debt recovery and company disputes.
Recent work Joel has undertaken includes:
- Fast-track trials concerning the enforcement of historic oral loan agreements, debt recovery for building works in circumstances of disputed workmanship, and impeachment of a compromise agreement.
- Advising on the character of a debenture (whether fixed or floating) and consequential grounds for urgent relief to restrain the imminent distribution of funds from an administration.
- Setting aside two statutory demands on the basis that the character of the underlying guarantee obligation was an indemnity only.
- Attending case management hearings in a number of unfair prejudice petitions concerning high-value companies.
- Strike out/summary judgment applications on behalf of corporate lenders, involving issues of enforceability and suretyship.