Gareth maintains a high-profile commercial practice. He has a particular focus on consumer protection and environmental issues, including those involving European and competition law.
He also has a particular interest and expertise in conspiracy, fraud and consumer contract issues, as well as in telecommunications. He has been retained as counsel for a major telecommunications company for over a decade and has conducted litigation on their behalf across the country.
Gareth was a member of the steering committee counsel team in the Volkswagen NOx Emissions Litigation, instructing on behalf of almost 90,000 claimants, until that case settled in mid-2022. He is now instructed by the steering committee in the Mercedes NOx Emissions Litigation and is also instructed to pursue claims against various other manufacturers, including BMW, Ford and Volvo. He is recommended as a leading individual for group litigation in Chambers & Partners, and is the only recommended individual practicing in Chambers outside of London.
Gareth aims to be user friendly and to provide pragmatic, commercial advice. He particular enjoys working closely with instructing solicitors on the wide range of issues arising out of group litigation work, whether legal, tactical or procedural.
Recent cases include:
- In the Matter of the VW NOx Emissions Group Litigation sub nom Anthony Joseph Champion Crossley & Ors v Volkswagen Aktiengesellschaft & Ors  EWHC 873 (QB)
- In the Matter of the VW NOx Emissions Group Litigation sub nom Anthony Joseph Champion Crossley & Ors v Volkswagen Aktiengesellschaft & Ors  EWHC 3444 (QB)
- Collins v Ticketmaster UK Ltd  10 WLUK 560
- Neal Bennett and ors v Equifax Limited  EWHC 1487 (QB)
- Aurora Cavallari and ors v Mercedes Benz Group AG and ors  EWHC 512 (KB)
- Karen Louise Tonge and ors v Bayer Public Limited Company and ors  EWHC 1792 (KB)
- Aurora Cavallari & ors v Mercedes Benz Group AG and ors  EWHC 1888 (KB)