Eddy has significant experience acting as advocate in complex inquest proceedings.
Since 2015, he has acted for household name international companies involved in the highest-profile fatality cases.
Eddy’s expertise is hight sought after by insurance companies in health & safety workplace fatality inquests, care home inquests and a myriad of hearings arising out of duty-holder business fatalities. He has also represented businesses instructed by corporate law firms, including in respect of Article 2 and jury inquests concerning prison deaths.
Eddy has lectured on current issues in coronial law, in respect of mock inquests, recent decisions in respect of the standard of proof and scope of Article 2, strategies for duty-holder businesses (including out of jurisdiction) in respect of the approach to the inquest, and PFD issues.
In 2022, Eddy was appointed a deputy coroner. This has greatly enriched his value in acting for duty-holder organisations at PIRs and full Inquest hearings, as well as advising on current attitudes within the Coroners Society in respect of collateral issues, such as PFD.
He also has a busy health & safety portfolio of cases, meaning he can advise and represent at Crown Court hearings in respect of criminal regulatory proceedings and also at Inquest.
He is well-known for his calm and measured approach, accompanied by razor-sharp eye for detail, helping to assess any weaknesses and provide strategic advice accordingly.
Eddy is an accomplished advocate who has been a criminal regulatory solicitor for years at global business law firm DLA Piper, prior to being called to the Bar. As a function of his previous professional roles, Eddy is extremely live to the pressures and requirements of his instructing solicitors when representing corporate organisations. He prides himself on being available 24/7 and at short notice to deal with urgent issues arising.
Over the years, Eddy has acted on –
- Prison death Article 2, jury inquests, including high-profile suicide deaths,
- Alleged workplace bullying suicide inquests,
- Road traffic collisions, for insurer, instructed by insurer firms
- Gas safe deaths,
- Medical advice pathways, fatalities with associated PFD issues,
- Complex medical device inquests with user/causaition issues, involving expert and manufacturer evidence,
- Inquests with an international element, including representation of a household name airlines in respect of a death on a flight with potential neglect issues in respect of medical care provided by a foreign flight crew,
- Advice and representation in respect of helicopter crash inquests,
- Deaths arising out of public service vehicle repair works in workplace fatality inquests.