George is a commercial barrister specialising in tax disputes, professional negligence and insolvency. Although he has experience across the range of professional negligence work, he has a particular interest in tax-related professional negligence claims. As he understands the tax law underlying such claims, he is able to take points on breach of duty, causation, loss and mitigation which might not occur to other professional negligence lawyers.
George has experience of professional negligence claims against:
- Chartered tax advisors
- Independent financial advisors
George has been recommended as a Leading Junior in Chambers & Partners and Legal 500. Chambers & Partners said: “George is very knowledgeable and experienced. He advises in a thorough yet practical fashion, giving advice on the best way forward in cases” and “His first written advice was very comprehensive and was used through the whole case.”. Legal 500 has said he is “Always ten steps ahead.” (see Recommendations for details).
Professional Negligence Cases
- Accountants – negligent conduct of a HMRC enquiry, resulting in £1.4 million in unnecessary tax and penalty liabilities
- Accountants – failure to advise on VAT liability, resulting in a £400,000 assessment with penalties.
- Accountants and tax advisers – £2m+ claim for failed EBT tax avoidance scheme (with leader).
- Accountants and tax advisers – £6m+ claim arising from failed tax avoidance schemes used by building company with £20m turnover (with leader).
- Accountants and CTAs – recommending investment in high-risk ‘film scheme’, which led to tax and NIC assessments and commercial liabilities to third parties.
- Auditors – negligent conduct of audit of restaurant chain, resulting in unnecessary VAT liabilities.
- IFA – failure to give tax advice relating to pension arrangements
- Solicitors – under-declaration of inheritance tax liability, resulting in penalties
- Trade union – ten-handed claim for defective legal advice.