Steven is a very experienced civil fraud practitioner. Before transferring to the Bar, he was a partner at a large firm of solicitors with responsibility for that firm’s work for HMRC relating to civil fraud and insolvency and regularly acted in relation to provisional liquidations of companies involved in missing trader and other tax frauds. Since joining Exchange Chambers in 2014 he has acted in relation to numerous civil fraud matters, from the initial investigation and applications for freezing order relief to trial and enforcement. His clients include corporate and individual claimants and defendants as well as insolvency practitioners.
He has particular experience of:
- Freezing order applications for claimants
- Challenges on behalf of defendants to freezing orders by defendants, including challenges to the scope of disclosure given by the claimant
- Cases involving allegations of missing trader and other tax fraud
- Fraudulent trading and transactions defrauding creditors brought by insolvency practitioners
- Claims of misappropriation by company directors
- Applications for charging orders following judgement, including disputed claims to ownership of property