Bill has more than thirty years of experience in most areas of commercial law, including construction disputes in court and before mediators and arbitrators. These have included the professional liability to architects and engineers, contractual disputes about apportionment of loss and tortious claims against builders and others involved in construction. He has specific experience of:
- Land settlement, subsidence and heave;
- Disputes between neighbours over nuisance and liability for drainage, slippage and under-cutting land;
- Tree root damage;
- Damage by fire including claims under the Fires Prevention (Metropolis) Act;
- Claims to summary judgment of adjudicator’s decisions;
- Challenges to arbitrator’s awards;
- Claims arising out of environmental contamination;
- Claims by and against local authorities arising out of their duties under the Building Act 1984 and related legislation.
- Advising whether section 1 of the Defective Premises Act 1972 applies to construction work on a new dwelling;
- Advising a developer of possible action against the NHBC;
- Advising on the application of the Consumer Protection Act 1987 to a claim against a builder and supplier under a design and build contract;
- Advising a local authority in relation to vacant sites and its powers under the Building Act 1984;
- Advising in relation to a multi-million pound joint venture agreement involving a JCT contract, breach of agreement, breach of fiduciary duty and tactical questions including the use of various dispute resolution methods;
- Instructions to appear in an application for summary judgment of an adjudicator’s award.
Since joining Chambers in 2008 he has also successfully appeared as an advocate at all levels of the court system including the Supreme Court and has represented clients in numerous mediations and arbitrations.
Bill also accepts instructions on a direct access basis from individuals, companies and other professions.
He also undertakes commercial and property litigation, professional negligence and insurance.
Bill is consistently recommended as a leading individual in the Legal 500 and other guides.