Bill has more than twenty years of experience in commercial dispute resolution including:
- Advising and litigating disputes about commercial contracts;
- Applications for emergency relief including freezing injunctions;
- Partnership, trust and co-ownership disputes;
- Bank guarantee and mortgage claims and equitable defences to these;
- Financial misselling including interest rate swaps;
- Claims by and against estates;
- Professional negligence including loss of opportunity claims against solicitors and other professionals;
Since joining Chambers in 2008 he has also successfully appeared as an advocate at all levels of the court system including the Supreme Court and has represented clients in numerous mediations achieving a high rate of settlement. He also specialises in all areas of property law (see separate CV).
Bill is consistently recommended as a leading individual in the Legal 500 guides.
Advice on the meaning of various commercial agreements including overage agreements in the context of a development land. Advice and advocacy in relation to misrepresentation and rectification of documents as well as unravelling the consequences of fraud.
Applications for emergency relief and injunctions
Recent cases have included applying for “springboard relief” to protect confidential information. Appearing, usually at short notice in applications for freezing injunctions and other forms of emergency relief including delivery up of goods and transfer of title issues.
Partnership and co-owned property
Disputes about partnership property on dissolution including disputes between doctors in the NHS, solicitors’ practices and farmers, claims based on constructive trust or estoppel and disputes following the breakdown of other business arrangements including LLPs.
Bank guarantee and mortgage claims and equitable defences
Disputes about all aspects of secured lending including undue influence claims, limitation disputes as well as defences of estoppel and acquiescence. Also, advice and litigation on the correct construction of bank guarantees, appearing in court and settling all types of dispute by ADR.