Defamation and Privacy
Tom is developing a defamation and privacy practice.
He has experience of acting in defamation proceedings and of acting in disputes with a privacy element, including making applications to search engines for the removal of adverse results.
Recent cases in which Tom has been instructed includes:
- One of the leading authorities on the ability to restrain publication by a public body: R. (on the application of the Governing Body of X) v Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills  EWCA Civ 594
- Acting for Claimants and Defendants in a number of claims relating to the alleged infringement of the Data Protection Act 2018 and the General Data Protection Regulation, including for interim relief at private hearings.
- Advising in claims for defamation and malicious falsehood in relation to:
- A claim brought by a former dentist against a colleague who made a report to a regulator regarding alleged drug use; and
- Adverse reviews posted on the internet.
- Instructed by a company director previously convicted of criminal offences in an application to search engines for the removal of adverse search results.