Property & Planning
Paul is recognised as a leading property junior in the North in The Legal 500 2021 and is a favourite with clients. He specialises in advising and representing local authorities, social housing providers and other public and private sector landlords, and is independently acclaimed as a leader in the fields of local government law and social housing law [Chambers UK 2021 and Legal 500 2021].
He was appointed Junior Counsel to the Crown by the Attorney General in 2015, and is a member of the Government’s ‘A’ Panel.
Paul is also Head of Local Government & Social Housing at Exchange Chambers. He advises and represents clients throughout the country. In the context of property law he has particular expertise in:
- All aspects of housing law and housing management
- Residential landlord and tenant law and its interface with human rights law
- Community safety & anti-social behaviour (including possession actions)
- Mental Capacity Act 2005 and Equality Act 2010 issues
- Judicial review and public law challenges
- Governance (including drafting and advising upon policies and procedures)
Paul provides continuing professional development training for local authorities, private registered providers, the police, solicitors and insurers.