Local Government & Social Housing
Paul is independently acclaimed as a leader in the fields of local government law and social housing law and is a favourite with clients. He continues to be awarded the highest available independent ranking in each of his areas of specialism [Legal 500 2022 and Chambers UK 2022].
Paul is Head of Local Government & Social Housing at Exchange Chambers. He sits as a Recorder (civil) and Legally Qualified Chair at the Medical Practitioners’ Tribunal Service and in the Police Misconduct jurisdiction.
Paul advises and represents clients throughout the country and has particular expertise in the following areas of practice:
- Personal injury (RTA, OL, EL and PL cases including particular experience dealing with physical and psychological injuries resulting from poor housing conditions)
- All aspects of housing law and housing management
- Residential landlord and tenant law and its interface with human rights law
- Community safety & anti-social behaviour (including injunctions and possession actions)
- Mental Capacity Act 2005 and Equality Act 2010 issues
- Judicial review and public law challenges
- Disciplinary and regulatory matters concerning police officers and medical professionals
- Governance (including drafting and advising upon policies and procedures)
Paul provides continuing professional development training for local authorities, private registered providers, the police, solicitors and insurers.