Local Government & Social Housing
“A superb advocate with exceptional gravitas and erudition”, Neil Cadwallader is a highly rated barrister of over 30 years practice.
Neil has worked for numerous local authorities and social landlords over many years. Examples of the matters he has handled include the following:
- Advising on claim for judicial review/restitution concerning termination of negotiations for sale of land for hotel and casino complex and best value issues
- Providing representation on substantial commercial rent review arbitration
- Advising on division of land and responsibilities for school, and sports facilities between 2 authorities and governors of school following change of school status, and joint use agreement
- Advising in dispute over payments for provision of low level support and counselling, and housing benefit
- Advising in dispute with Crown Estates over nature and extent of ferry rights
- Advising as to title to former school under charitable trust law and Education Acts
- Advising as to title to former school under School Sites Acts, Reverter of Sites Act
- Drafting terms of contract with utility provider for refurbishment of housing stock before bulk transfer
- Huge variety of landlord and tenant matters (break clauses, service charges, recovery of rent, rent reviews)
- Questions of title to land
- Procurement disputes
- Advising on right to buy
For social landlords he has:
- Reviewed and redrafted mass transfer agreements and standard assured tenancy and assured shorthold tenancy agreements with c 15,000 tenants
- Advised on how best to increase rents and service charges from social tenants
- Advised on a professional negligence claim in respect of a defective VAT-saving scheme
He also has many years’ experience in dealing with developments, options, restrictive covenants and title matters in relation to property held for local authority pension funds (see his Property and Planning CV).
Noted for his client skills and the breadth of his expertise and knowledge, he is able to cut through the most complex legal issues and distill them into a clear course of action.