Louis is an immensely experienced practitioner, specialising in civil law. He has a significant practice in the field of data breach claims for individuals and companies whom have had their personal and sensitive data breached by third parties.
Louis has advised the ICO and was recently instructed to advise on a potential group action against Ticketmaster after a significant data breach was announced in June 2018.
Louis has a First Class Honours Degree in Law and the Postgraduate Degree of Bachelor of Civil Law, Balliol College Oxford.
He was called to the Bar in 1988 and began practising in 1992. He was appointed Treasury Counsel in 2000 and has remained on the Panel until he took Silk in 2017. He is now on the Government Silk Panel.
Louis is consistently recommended as a leading individual in The Legal 500. He is described in the 2018/19 guide as “A fierce and equitable advocate.”, “A combination of great legal acumen, tenacity and pragmatism.” and “His legal acumen is first rate.”
Data Breach Cases
Ongoing recent cases include:
- Instructed as Lead Counsel (Leading Ian Whitehurst) in group litigation relating to the Ticketmaster data breach.
- Instructed as Lead Counsel (Leading Ian Whitehurst) in the group litigation relating to The British Airways data breach.
- Instructed as Lead Counsel (Leading Ian Whitehurst) a national figure concerning breach of his personal data by actionable organisation which resluted in a six figure settlement.
- Instructed as Lead Counsel (Leading Ian Whitehurst) a former European politician concerning the “right to be forgotten” and the consequential damage caused from the refusal to take down material on the internet.
- Advised on the application of the subject access regime.
- Advised on the application of ECHR arts 8 and 10 in a judicial review challenge to the retention of data.