Data Breach and Privacy
Louis is an immensely experienced practitioner, specialising in civil law.
He has a significant practice in the field of data breach claims for individuals and companies whom have had their personal and sensitive data breached by third parties.
Louis has advised the ICO and was recently instructed on a potential group action against Ticketmaster after a significant data breach was announced in June 2018.
Having developed a niche practice in “right to be forgotten” claims, Louis was recently instructed as Lead Counsel to represent a prominent figure in a claim against Google.
Louis has lectured widely in this field and is the author of a number of papers.
Louis has a First-Class Honours Degree in Law and the Postgraduate Degree of Bachelor of Civil Law, Balliol College Oxford.
He was called to the Bar in 1988 and began practising in 1992. He was appointed Treasury Counsel in 2000 and has remained on the Panel until he took Silk in 2017. He is now on the Government Silk Panel.
Louis is consistently recommended as a leading individual in The Legal 500. He is described in the 2020 guide as “A strong advocate with good client care skills”, “A fearsome opponent” and “His ability to digest complex expert evidence is exceptional.”
Data Breach and Privacy Cases
Recent and ongoing recent cases include:
- Leading Counsel in group litigation relating to the Ticketmaster data breach.
- Leading Counsel in the group litigation relating to The British Airways data breach.
- Leading Counsel in Representative action against Equifax.
- Leading Counsel representing a national figure concerning breach of his personal data by a well-known public organisation. This resulted in a six-figure settlement.
- Leading Counsel representing a prominent figure in a claim for “right to be forgotten” and resulting economic losses against Google.
- Leading Counsel representing an employee in a claim against his employers for breach of data which led to him being “named and shamed” in the press which adversely impacted upon his professional reputation and standing.
- Leading Counsel representing a Senior Executive in a dispute with his employers concerning their compliance with his data protection rights and the resulting impact upon his terms of employment.
- Leading Counsel representing the victim of an organised crime group who was defrauded of a six-figure sum.
- Leading Counsel representing multiple claimants based across the world who have lost in excess of $41million in crypto currency after the crypto exchange was hacked by third parties.
- Leading Counsel in Representative action against major leisure and holiday company as a result of major data breach of its employee’s data.
- Instructed by well-known organisation to defend a data breach claim pleaded at substantial value brought against it by a student.
- Advising Senior City employee in respect of Subject Access Request against his employer.
- Advising Senior Management Team in a financial institution in respect of serious breach of confidential/privacy causing substantial loss/breach of ECHR art.8.
- Representing well-known author/journalist, the subject of an international organised crime group who defrauded her.
- Advising a well-known public figure on breach of confidence claim – settled for substantial sum at a joint settlement meeting.