Lisa is a leading barrister with an excellent and well-established reputation in commercial Chancery cases and commercial litigation in the Business and Property Courts of the High Court of Justice. Lisa has a solid record of successfully representing a diverse range of companies and individuals in business disputes that are often high value and/or complex and whether before action, at mediation or through to trial. She is effective at positively leading the teams within which she is working and making sound strategic decisions on challenging issues under pressure.
Legal 500 UK Bar 2020 recommends Lisa as a top tier barrister in the fields of commercial, banking, insolvency and Chancery law as a “very highly regarded lawyer and advocate” and in Legal 500 UK Bar 2019 as “imperturbable and impressive in court; a force to be reckoned with”. She is praised by Chambers & Partners UK Bar 2020 for being “unflappable, extremely well prepared and an excellent advocate who is as strong on her feet as she is on paper”.
Lisa is a popular choice as Counsel for advocacy, advice and drafting in contested cases in the following practice areas:
- Shareholder disputes;
- Corporate and personal insolvency;
- Directors’ and trustees’ duties and related claims;
- Secured lending disputes, including Law of Property Act receiverships;
- Commercial Contract disputes;
- Conflict of laws;
- Commercial litigation (commercial fraud, conversion, equitable remedies including injunctions, confidential information, agency and nuisance);
- Partnership, joint venture and LLP disputes;
- Proprietary estoppel claims (particularly relating to farms);
- Real property and trusts;
- Public interest winding up petitions, directors’ disqualification and tax-related litigation.
Recent highlights of Lisa’s practice include:
- Successfully defending a challenge to the court’s jurisdiction and claim that England was forum non conveniens and consequently securing payment of the underlying contractual claim.
- Currently acting for the defendants to a £5 million misfeasance claim brought by the liquidators of an Isle of Man partnership.
- Acting for minority shareholders in obtaining payment of just over £600,000 following presentation of a petition to wind up a crowd-funded property development company.
- Securing a settlement of just under £1 million for a shareholder in unfair prejudice petition proceedings involving a company specialising in niche pipeline product supplies.
- Advising a local authority on successfully exiting an onerous contract relating to mortuary services.
- Successfully defending a claim under a joint venture agreement and by proprietary estoppel to a valuable quarry at an 8 day trial.
- Representing a Yorkshire Fastest 50 company in defending a claim brought by a commercial agent for in excess of £2.5 million in alleged unpaid commission.
- Representing a partner in a family farming partnership in a dispute involving an enviable Yorkshire Wolds arable farm valued in excess of £6 million in which a proprietary estoppel claim was made.
- Re Graico Property Co Ltd (in administration)  BCC 15 (Norris J) (Leeds District Registry) Acted for administrators on a precedent case of practical importance for insolvency practitioners as to the scope of the court’s powers when ending administration.
Lisa is also a member of the advisory board of the Centre for Business Law and Practice at the University of Leeds.