Lisa is a leading barrister in Commercial Chancery cases whose practice continues to go from strength to strength.
Recommended by Legal 500 UK Bar 2018/19 as “impressive in court; a force to be reckoned with”, Lisa combines excellent practical skills and technical knowledge with commercial acumen, an approachable manner and high-quality service.
Praised by Chambers & Partners UK Bar 2019 for being “persuasive in court and excellent on complex legal problems”, Lisa brings a wealth of experience in advising and representing a diverse range of companies, individuals and Government departments (having been Junior Counsel to the Crown for 18 years).
Lisa is a popular choice as Counsel for advocacy, advice and drafting in disputes in the High Court in the following practice areas:
- Shareholder disputes;
- Corporate and personal insolvency;
- Directors’ and trustees’ duties and related claims;
- Contractual disputes;
- Secured lending disputes;
- Commercial litigation (equitable remedies including injunctions, confidential information, agency, conversion, nuisance, conflict of laws, commercial fraud and professional negligence);
- Partnership, joint venture and LLP disputes;
- Proprietary estoppel claims (particularly relating to farms);
- Real property and trusts;
- Public interest winding up petitions, directors’ disqualification and tax-related litigation.
Recent highlights of Lisa’s practice include:
- Successfully securing a settlement of just under £1 million for a shareholder in unfair prejudice petition proceedings involving a company specialising in niche pipeline product supplies.
- Acting for House of Fraser/Sports Direct in defending emergency delivery up proceedings relating to items in House of Fraser Stores.
- Regularly acting for office holders and directors in misfeasance proceedings for breaches of directors’ duties, including a successful claim against a de facto director.
- Representing a Yorkshire Fastest 50 company in defending a claim brought by a commercial agent for in excess of £2.5 million in alleged unpaid commission.
- Representing a partner in a family farming partnership in a dispute involving an enviable Yorkshire Wolds arable farm valued in excess of £6 million.
- Representing the Claimant in a substantial claim of over £1 million for breach of warranties in a share purchase agreement involving a wind farm in Scotland. The case settled before a 10 day trial and following a high profile appeal involving disclosure of privileged documents by the Defendant Atlantisrealm Ltd v Intelligent Land Investments (Renewable Energy) Ltd  EWCA Civ 1029,  C.P. Rep. 39.
- Re Graico Property Co Ltd (in administration)  BCC 15 (Norris J) (Leeds District Registry) Acted for administrators on a precedent case of practical importance for insolvency practitioners as to the scope of the court’s powers when ending administration.
Lisa is also a member of the advisory board of the Centre for Business Law and Practice at the University of Leeds.