Lisa has forged an excellent reputation as a leading barrister in Commercial Chancery cases. She is valued by clients for combining excellent practical skills and technical knowledge with commercial acumen, an approachable manner and high quality service. Lisa brings a wealth of experience in advising and representing a diverse range of companies, individuals and Government departments (having been Junior Counsel to the Crown for 18 years).
Lisa is a popular choice as Counsel for advocacy, advice and drafting in disputes in the High Court in the following practice areas:
- Shareholder disputes;
- Corporate and personal insolvency;
- Partnership, joint venture and LLP disputes;
- Directors’ and trustees’ duties and related claims;
- Proprietary estoppel claims (particularly relating to farms);
- Share sale and business sale disputes;
- Contractual disputes;
- Real property and trusts;
- General commercial litigation (equitable remedies including injunctions, confidential information, agency, conversion, nuisance, conflict of laws, commercial fraud and professional negligence);
- Public interest winding up petitions, directors’ disqualification and tax-related litigation.
Recent highlights of Lisa’s practice include:
- Successfully securing a settlement of just under £1 million for the Petitioner in unfair prejudice petition proceedings involving a family business. The settlement was reached at a mediation just before a 5 day High Court trial in Manchester (2018).
- Re Graico Property Co Ltd (in administration)  BCC 15 (Norris J) (Leeds District Registry) Acted for administrators on a precedent case on the scope of the court’s powers when ending administration.
- Currently representing a partner in a family farming partnership in dispute involving assets with a value of in excess of £6 million and a claim of proprietary estoppel (2018) (High Court, Leeds).
- Representing the Claimant in a substantial claim of over £1 million for breach of warranties in a share purchase agreement. The companies purchased by the Claimant constructed, developed and operate wind farms in Scotland. The case settled before a 10 day trial and following a high profile appeal involving disclosure of privileged documents by the Defendant Atlantisrealm Ltd v Intelligent Land Investments (Renewable Energy) Ltd  EWCA Civ 1029,  C.P. Rep. 39 (2016 – 2017) (High Court, Leeds).
- Acting in the high-profile contested administration application in respect of VE Interactive Ltd. The hearing was reported in the Financial Times and other business press and is connected with the case of Re Ve Interactive Ltd (in administration); Ve Vegas Investors IV LLC and others v Shinners and others  EWHC 186 (Ch).
- Representing HM Revenue and Customs in First Tier Tax Tribunal in precedent case in respect of VAT treatment of bicarbonate of soda, sold in tubs in baking aisles Phoenix Foods Limited  S. T. I. 276.
Lisa is also a member of the advisory board of the Centre for Business Law and Practice at the University of Leeds.