• As a member of the Attorney General’s list of Approved Counsel, Stephen prosecuted cases on behalf of the Health and Safety Executive, Environment Agency and Department of Business, Innovation and Skills.
• Stephen now uses the skills he developed ‘on panel’ to defend such actions, on behalf of companies and individuals.
• As a practitioner recommended for his fraud work, Stephen is pa rticularly experienced in large cases of complexity.
Regina -v- [A Company] Ltd, Leeds Crown Court 2012
Led by Peter Gower QC, represented a £2 billion global company as they were prosecuted following the death of a miner beneath hydraulic props they manufactured.
Regina -v- Eamon Murphy, ABC Granulation Ltd, Bradford Crown Court, Ongoing
Defence of a company and its operation’s manager in relation to a large criminal conspiracy to export waste without the relevant permits or permissions.
Regina -v- Corus Steel Sheffield Crown Court, 2010
Prosecuted this complex case on behalf of the Health and Safety Executive. Corus Steel were found not to have adequately trained workers in the use of safety equipment after identifying safety concerns in their cranes at a Rotherham depot. An overloaded crane overturned trapping the driver as his cab was crushed completely. The driver only escaped after the cab was crushed sufficiently for the reinforced glass window to burst under pressure. Corus were fined £100,000 following conviction.
• Chambers & Partners 2012, “Stephen Grattage is based in Exchange Chambers’ Leeds office, and can lay claim to a significant serious crime and criminal fraud defence practice ...” Band 1 Junior, Regional Fraud
• Chambers & Partners 2011, “good reputation in cross-border fraud and conspiracy cases". He was acknowledged as "an effective and sensible practitioner with an excellent grasp of the intricacies surrounding any case he deals with" Band 1 Junior, Regional Fraud
• North Eastern Circuit
• Criminal Bar Association
• Lincoln’s Inn
• Furnival Chambers, London
• BA(Hons) Law & Sociology, University of Warwick (Class IIi, 1995-1999)
• Bar Vocational Course, Inns of Court School of Law (Very Competent, 2000)